Harlem Township Days scheduled for August 18-19
This year at our Harlem Township Days, August 18–19, we are holding several agricultural and art contests with $5.00 prizes for the first place winners, ribbons for the winners of first through third, and participation ribbons for each exhibitor. All contests will be held in the Harlem Township Maintenance Building in Center Village (on Rich Drive). There are no entry fees.
There are two types of contests — by size and viewer’s choice selection. If we have a lot of entries, classes may be sub-divided. By size contest winners will be determined by 12 noon on Saturday, August 18, and ribbons placed. Voting for winners in the viewer’s choice contests will be between 12 noon and 6 p.m. on Saturday with the ribbons placed Saturday evening. Prize money for all contests will be awarded at an awards ceremony in the main tent at 2 p.m. on Sunday
BY SIZE CONTESTS — Entries are due at the Maintenance building between 8 and 11 a.m. on Saturday, August 18:
• 1. Biggest Glacial Boulder – photograph of boulder and measurements of height, width and depth
• 2. Biggest Zucchini (by weight)
• 3. Biggest Tomato (by weight)
• 4. Biggest Winter Squash/Pie Pumpkin (by weight) (pie or jack-o-lantern pumpkins only, no monsters)
• 5. Biggest sunflower head (by diameter)
• 6. Heaviest ear of field corn (by weight)
• 7. Heaviest soybeans — 10 pods (by weight) (cup will be provided)
VIEWER’S CHOICE CONTESTS :
FLOWERS & GOURD CONTESTS — Entries are due at the Maintenance building between 8 and 11 a.m. on Saturday, August 18.
• 8. Painted Dried Gourd – with string for hanging (can be brought Friday evening)
• Classes 9 through 11 are Flower Arrangements – maximum 24-inch base size any direction, all arranger’s interpretation.
• 9. Harlem Township Heritage – flower arrangement
•10. Harlem Township 2012 – flower arrangement
•11. Dreams for Harlem Township – flower arrangement
ART CONTESTS — Entries are due at the Maintenance Building between 7 and 9 p.m. on Friday, August 17. All Viewer’s Choice Awards:
•12. Two Dimensional Art (paintings, drawings, embroidery, needlepoint, etc.) maximum size 24-inch x 36-inch, must have hanger attached
•13. Three Dimensional Art (sculpture, pottery, wood carving, knitting, macrame, etc.) maximum base size 18 inches any direction
•14. Photography maximum size 16 inches x 24 inches, must be in mount with way to hang.
•15. Children’s Art – open to elementary school students or pre-school ages, 8–1/2 inches x 11 inches or 9 inches x 12 inches drawing, painting, collage, glue and glitter, or … that can be hung with thumbtacks.
All entrants will receive a participation ribbon and prize. No judging.
We’re hoping to have a good turn-out on contest entries. If you have questions about the contests, or need additional information, please contact Vicki Tieche at 740–965-4535 or < email@example.com >.