Copier paper danger
How could any common item in the age of computers and printouts cause me to beware? I was unsuspecting as I stood before my printer collating the papers for the paper clip. Normally, I might have sat down with the papers on the table before me, but I was in a hurry. It would probably have been the paper clip I put in my mouth to give me more use of my two hands. However, I put the small corner of the copy paper — my middle page — between my lips and made room for its insertion. Came time to include the paper, it wouldn’t come — instead, it “glued” its chemicals to the damp lip and stuck there! Removal took away a layer of skin!
The pain triggered a line of thought I couldn’t have predicted. Copy paper is every where. I’ve known crawling infants and toddlers who crave paper — chewing away the corners of their favorite book. What if they had put copy paper in their mouth? Not only the lining of the mouth would be harmed, but the chemicals in the paper we just take for granted as safe — what more harm might they cause ingested?
I listen to radio — sometimes in the middle of the night from other countries like the BBC. Do you remember how night clothes for children were required in the USA to have a fire retardant on them? I made my children their night clothes to avoid the chemical, but it was hard finding anything with a children’s print that was free of the chemical. Now I heard on radio that nursing mother’s milk contains fire retardant. Not only will the child get it in mom’s milk, but also in the night clothes he is wearing.
Are we too trusting of our environment; the man made devices and coatings “to protect us from harm” added with government approval, which we take without question?
Another protector or preservative found in common items we use is formaldehyde. It isn’t on cotton fabric, but if you walk the isles of a fabric store and feel spaced out — you may be amongst the polyesters on which it resides. Cleaning liquids, foam insulation, and on new furniture have formaldehyde in the fabric and in the foam cushions. Someone with allergies to it might find sitting on it, body heat “soaking” it through the skin can cause a myriad of reactions from spaced out to joint pain.
Why is it there? Well, for one thing it prevents dust mites from taking up residence, but so does routine vacuuming or using Ozone-2 or Ozone-3 in the air. Put a simple machine that spews super oxygen air in the room when not in use, and gone are the dust mites, spiders, flies, yeast and molds.
Perhaps we should be more discerning in our environment.