McDougal, Fuss 2012 Hartford Fair King, Queen
By LENNY C. LEPOLA
News Assistant Managing Editor
The Hartford Independent Fair’s annual King and Queen competition is a tradition that draws entire families as young candidates take to the stage for light-hearted competition while they vie for the honor of representing the fair district at events throughout the coming year.
Last Saturday evening, candidates, their friends and families, gathered in the Pavilion on the Hartford Fairgrounds to find out who would represent the fair district for the next 12 months.
Retiring Hartford Fair Queen Catherine Jula and retiring King Cameron Johnson MC’d the event; Judges were Candy Ashbrook, Abby Pound and Kevin Pope.
Ashbrook was the 1975 Hartford Fair Queen and today serves as Modern 4-H Club advisor and family and consumer sciences teacher at Liberty Union High School. Pound was the 2002 Hartford Fair Queen and Horse Queen, and served on the Junior Fair Board for many years. Pope has been at the Hartford Fair for many years as a concessionaire, serves on the Board of Trustees of the Greater Ohio Showman’s Association, and sits on the Ohio Fair Managers Association PAC Committee.
Several hours before the 7 p.m. public competition where the new king and queen were chosen, the three judges shared dinner with the candidates, followed by a tour of the fairgrounds. During the dinner and tour, each judge had an opportunity to speak with individual candidates and observe them as they interacted with others.
During the public portion of the selection process, each candidate introduced him– or her-self with a brief statement about 4-H, FFA, Hartford Fair involvement and school activities, followed by extemporaneously answering a randomly selected question.
After the public portion of the selection process, judges retired to make a final selection.
When they returned to the stage, Taylor Fuss and Stephanie McDougal were crowned as the 2012 Hartford Independent Fair King and Queen.
Stephanie McDougal is from Newark. She is the daughter of Al and Colleen McDougal and will be a sophomore at West Virginia University in the fall. Clover Connections 4-H Club sponsored Stephanie.
Taylor Fuss is from Pataskala. He is the son of David and Jody Fuss and a freshman at OSU-Newark. National Roaders 4-H Club sponsored Taylor.
The other 2012 Hartford Queen Candidates were:
• Greta Neilley, first runner-up. Greta is from Baltimore, and the daughter of Grant and Susan Neilley. She is a freshman at Hocking College, and was sponsored by American Traditions 4-H Club.
• Elisa Higgins, second runner-up. Elisa is from Johnstown. She is the daughter of Scott and Lisa Higgins, and a freshman at Wright State University. Elisa was sponsored by Buttons & Baker’s 4-H Club.
• McKenzie Cellar, third runner-up. A 2012 Big Walnut High School graduate from Centerburg, McKenzie is the daughter of Eric and Laurie Cellar, and will be a freshman at Mount Vernon Nazarene University in the fall.
• Shelby Fry, fourth runner-up. Shelby is from Pataskala and is the daughter of Pat and Mary Fry and a freshman at Central Ohio Technical College. Jersey Farmer’s 4-H Club sponsored Shelby.
The other 2012 Hartford Fair King Candidates were:
• Sean Siddens, first runner-up. Sean is from Pataskala and is the son of Rachel Siddens and Bryan Siddens and a freshman at OSU-Newark. PACA 4-H Club sponsored Sean.
• Andrew Smith, second runner-up. Andrew is from Newark and is the son of Aaron and Beth Smith. Rocky Fork Junior Livestock sponsored Andrew.
The 154th Hartford Independent Fair and Hartford Junior Fair continue through Saturday. The Hartford Fair General Gate Admission (Does not include rides) is $6. Parking is free every fair day and all grandstand events are free on a first come, first serve basis.
Tonight, August 9, Motocross Racing is featured in the grandstand. Friday evening the popular Rough Truck Contest is held, and the 154th Hartford Fair’s grandstand entertainment closes with the Saturday, August 11, Championship Horse Pull.
For additional information Phone: 740–893-4881; Fax: 740–893-4810; Email < email@example.com >, or log on to < hartfordfair.com >.