COA Board announces 2013 Grant Awards
The Council for Older Adults Board of Directors has approved grants for 2013 totaling $625,205 to local nonprofit organizations serving older adults in Delaware County. The Council funds these grants annually as one approach to addressing local service gaps and encouraging local service coordination. Funding for these grants is provided by the Delaware County senior services levy.
Those receiving grants include:
• Alzheimer’s Association of Central Ohio — $51,700, to improve the caregiving abilities of families caring for persons with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia, resulting in improved quality of life for both the caregiver and the individual with dementia.
• Catholic Social Services — $27,966, to support the Senior Companion Program.
• Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging — $6,000, to support the Volunteer Guardianship Program for Delaware County.
• Delaware Area Transit Association — $292,604, allowing DATA to provide affordable transportation service to all senior citizens of Delaware County.
• Delaware County Job and Family Services — $39,304, to support the Seasonal Youth Chore Program, which assists older adults with needed home chores.
• Delaware County Juvenile Court — $4,600, to provide financial support for staffing of Delaware County Juvenile Court who supervises assigned students from the suspension alternative program to provide community service by completing various chores for older adults.
• Delaware General Health District — $15,002, to provide continued support to two evidence-based programs for Delaware County’s older adults: the Falls Prevention Program and Healthy U Chronic Disease Self Management Program.
• Delaware Speech and Hearing Center — $45,395, to expand and enhance direct hearing and speech health service resources to older adults and their families.
• Grady Memorial Hospital (D.R.I.V.E.) — $7,800, for Driver Rehabilitation for Instruction and Vehicle Education program for older adults.
• HelpLine of Delaware & Morrow Counties — Connections Volunteer Center.
• Senior Companion program site management — $31,973.
• To operate a volunteer center — $47,861.
• LifeCare Alliance — Supportive Services — $28,300, to provide supportive services for foot care.
• National Church Residences Center for Senior Health (previously known as Heritage Day Health Centers) — $20,700, for adult day care adjunctive therapies.
• People in Need — $6,000, to provide emergency financial assistance to older adults.
The Council for Older Adults is a local nonprofit organization responsible for planning, developing, coordinating and providing services for older adults and their families in Delaware County. Among the Council’s services are the county-wide Meals On Wheels program and Senior Choices, a program that provides comprehensive care management and in-home services. Services provided by the Council are made possible, in part, by funding through our local senior services levy.