Weatherby named Sunbury’s 2013 council president
By LENNY C. LEPOLA
News Assistant Managing Editor
Political subdivisions statewide begin each year with a reorganization session. During reorganization meetings rules of operation and conduct are adopted, officers are selected, committee appointments made, and a host of other tasks undertaken that will allow the council or board to operate during the year ahead.
Before last Wednesday’s Sunbury Village Council meeting was more than a few minutes old, village solicitor David Brehm reminded council members that before they could proceed with any other business they were required by Ohio Revised Code to adopt council rules.
“You can change them any time you want to,” Brehm said. “But I recommend that you adopt last year’s council rules so you have rules for tonight’s meeting.”
After adopting the existing council rules, council members unanimously selected Len Weatherby to serve as 2013 Village Council President Pro Tem.
Committee assignments will remain unchanged.
The only change will be when former council member Bill Metzler’s replacement is selected that new council member will assume Metzler’s 2012 committee assignments.
Sunbury Village Council’s Finance Committee, a committee of the whole of council, will continue to meet at 6:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of every month in Sunbury Town Hall third floor council chambers.
Council’s Services Committee, responsible for building maintenance, streets, and sanitary and storm sewers, meets the meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday of every month in third floor council chambers. Weatherby and council member Tom Zalewski will sit on Services.
Parks Committee, responsible for parks, village activities, safety and the village cemetery, will continue to meet at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month on the second floor of Town Hall. Council members Jennifer Witt, David Miller and Joe Gochenour currently sit on Parks. The committee is seeking one at-large member of the community to replace Janet Metzler, who resigned from Parks in December.
• Miller, Gochenour and Witt sit on council’s Technology Committee that’s responsible for the village website’s policies and procedures and village technology recommendations. Council’s Tech Committee meets as needed.
• Miller will serve as Big Walnut Local School District Board of Education liaison, with Sunbury Mayor Tommy Hatfield serving as an alternate. The board of education meets at 7 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at Big Walnut Middle School unless an alternate location is announced.
• Zalewski will continue to serve as Sunbury’s representative on the BST&G Fire District Board of Trustees.
• Weatherby will represent Sunbury at Delaware County Regional Planning Commission meetings.
• Miller, the village clerk, Myers Inn Curator Polly Horn and David Brehm sit on the Village Records Committee that meets two times each year, meeting dates to be determined.
• Weatherby and Gochenour will continue to serve as members of the Village of Sunbury Planning & Zoning Commission. As mayor, Hatfield also serves as a voting member of Zoning. The Zoning Commission meets at 7:30 p.m. on the fourth Monday of each month.
• Council’s ad hoc 139 Committee that oversees employee and employment issues will meet as needed and is a committee of the whole of council.
• Witt and Miller sit on the ad hoc Health, Property and Liability Insurance Committee that meets as needed.
• The ad hoc Council Rules Committee is a committee of the whole and meets as needed.
• Miller sits on the Village of Sunbury/Big Walnut Local School District Joint Venture Board that meets the second Monday of the month prior to the school board meeting. Hatfield serves as alternate.
• Hatfield and Weatherby will represent Sunbury at Delaware County Local Government Association bimonthly meetings.
When Bill Metzler’s replacement is selected that individual will sit on committees of the whole, the Services Committee, Regional Planning, Village Records, Insurance Committee, Joint Venture Committee, and serve as a Fire Board alternate and board of education liaison alternate.
Sunbury Village Council will continue to meet at 7:30 p.m. on the first and third Wednesday of every month in third floor council chambers, Sunbury Town Hall. In months with five Wednesdays on the calendar council member will hold a meeting on the fifth Wednesday, unless formally cancelled by a motion and a vote at a previous council session.
All Sunbury Village Council and council committee meetings are open to the public.
Sunbury’s website is located at < sunburyvillage.com >.