Sunbury man sentenced for rape, abduction
By KATE LIEBERS
For The Sunbury News
A Sunbury man who admitted to raping and abducting an Indiana teenager was sentenced to 14 years in prison, the maximum penalty for the crimes.
Scott Cisco, 47, originally was charged with six counts of rape and three counts of kidnapping, all first-degree felonies, as well as one count of abduction, a third-degree felony. Cisco pleaded guilty in January to the lesser charges of one count of rape and abduction — a negotiation the victim’s mother said was accepted so her daughter wouldn’t have to face Cisco at trial.
Cisco is to register as a tier III sex offender upon his release.
The charges stem from an October 24 incident, after Cisco and the teenager began chatting on a “social networking site for people who practice bondage, dominance and sado-masochistic sexual acts,” according to documents submitted by the defense.
The 17-year-old juvenile identified herself as an 18-year-old adult on her profile, the court documents state; Cisco was posing as a 22-year-old, according to the Delaware County Prosecutor’s Office.
Their online conversations moved to the phone and they agreed to meet, the documents indicated. Cisco picked the teen up in Indianapolis and drove her to his Delaware County residence.
There, they engaged in activity consistent with their prior online conversations. When the teenager said the “safe word,” which the two had agreed meant the activity should stop, Cisco ignored her.
Cisco publicly confessed to this in January, telling Delaware County Common Pleas Judge Duncan Whitney that he continued for “five to eight minutes” while the girl was bound and gagged before he released her.
Cisco was accused of tying the girl before he went to work the next day, which he denied. While he was away, the victim fled and told police she had been kidnapped.
Cisco turned himself into the Sunbury Police Department when he learned officers had been at his home.
He has remained at the Delaware County Jail under a $150,000 bond since his his Oct. 25 arrest.
The victim’s mother, who was joined by the victim’s father in court, gave a testimony on her daughter’s behalf.
She said her daughter was vulnerable the day the crimes took place, and accused Cisco of taking advantage of a teenager who didn’t understand the full risk involved in the online conduct.
“His false indication of caring and understanding led my child to him,” she said.
She said her daughter feared for her life the night of the incident. She said she will always worry about her daughter every time she goes out with friends, and that her daughter struggles to be around men.
“In my head, I failed her,” she continued. “I failed her as her mother for failing to teach her of such monsters here on earth.”
Cisco apologized to the family before hearing his sentence.
“I hope the victim’s therapy helps and to the family, on this whole mess, I hope they can put it behind them someday,” Cisco. “I am sorry.”
The mother read her testimony in response to the court’s consideration of possibly merging the penalties for the two counts.
Public defender Thomas Clark II said the abduction charge related to a bondage conduct similar to the conduct involved in the rape charge.
Clark disputed the legitimacy of the victim’s statements as included in the pre-sentence investigation, because she was not under oath.
Delaware County assistant prosecutor Eric Penkal maintained the conduct involved in the bondage was separate from the sexual activity.
The judge considered postponing the sentencing so the victim could get a chance to testify under oath.
While the parents initially seemed to agree, the mother later decided to read her letter instead.
Whitney agreed with prosecution that the penalties for two charges should not merge.
Cisco received 11 years mandatory for the rape conviction, and 36 months for the abduction.