By LENNY C. LEPOLA News Assistant Managing Editor
November 20, 2013
Retiring Big Walnut Local School District Board of Education member Pam Lillie has been serving as Big Walnut’s representative on the Delaware Area Career Center Board of Education. Over that past several months Lillie has been noting, with some unease, how Ohio’s House Bill 59, the biennial budget bill, has changed Joint Vocational School (a.k.a. Career Center) board governance statewide.
Currently, career center board of education members have to be members of a home school board - a board of education member from a school district served by the career center. Lillie said that makes sense, because local school districts and career centers each have a vested interest in the students they serve; there’s a built-in relationship.
“The new Joint Vocational School governance laws makes it a three-year term and anybody can serve, although indications are the career center would prefer home school board members,” Lillie said during Monday evening’s board of education meeting. “Anyone interested in becoming a board member can apply, including school board members. The career center feels very strongly that they should be on the board of education of a local school district.”
Lillie said anyone living in the Big Walnut district who is interested in serving on the DACC Board of Education must file an application along with a resume and proof of voter registration to the Big Walnut Local School District Administration, Office of the Superintendent, 105 Bowman Street., Suite A, Sunbury, OH, 43074 no later than 12 noon, Monday, December 9.
Lillie said the appointment would be made during the January Big Walnut board of education meeting.
A cover letter accompanying the DACC Board of Education Application notes that the following will be considered when appointing a Big Walnut Local School District representative to the DACC Board.
* Members of the JVSD board are public officials appointed by participating districts, who must not have an interest in a public contract or other conflict of interest, in violation of law.
* JVSD board members must be appointed to a three-year term and are limited to two consecutive three-year terms. Terms are considered consecutive unless separated by three or more years.
* Preference may be given to qualified individuals who have served on a JVSD Business Advisory Committee.
* Appointees shall be selected based on the diversity of the employers from the geographical region of the state in which the territory of the joint vocational school district is located represented by the members.
* Not less than three-fifths of the members of the board shall reside in or be employed within the territory of the JVSD board upon which the member serves.
Appointees must meet the following minimum qualifications:
* Have experience as chief financial officers, chief executive officers, human resource managers, or other business, industry, or career counseling profession;
* Be qualified to discuss the labor needs of the region with respect to the regional economy;
* Represent employers in the region served by the joint vocational school district; and
* Be qualified to consider the state’s workforce needs, with an understanding of the skills, training and education needed for current and future employment opportunities in the state.
“I strongly urge someone from our board to step up and apply to do this,” Lillie said.
Big Walnut residents can pick up DACC Board of Education application forms at the Big Walnut Local School District Administration, Office of the Superintendent, 105 Bowman Street, Suite A, Sunbury, OH, 43074.
For additional information call 740-965-3010 and follow the prompts to the Administration Office.