• Thursday Evening Concerts in the Park, Thursday, Aug. 14, 7-8:30 p.m., Gallant Woods Preserve, 2151 Buttermilk Hill Rd. — Join us for a free concert featuring Agent 99. Bring your own lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic. No registration is required. For more information, visit www.preservationparks.com.
• “Sounds of the Night” Hike, Friday, Aug. 15, 8:30 p.m., Emily Traphagen Preserve, 5094 Seldom Seen Rd. — We’ll listen to all the sounds of the night and learn what those “spooky” noises are all about. Ages 5 and older. No registration is required. For more information, visit www.preservationparks.com.
• Toy Leaf Boats and Rafts, Sunday, Aug. 17, 6-8 p.m., Blues Creek Preserve, 9627 Fontanelle Rd. — Construct a toy boat from natural materials. Then see if she is seaworthy as we set sail on the pond. Materials and tools will be provided. Free; all ages. No registration is required. For more information, visit www.preservationparks.com.
• Wiggles and Giggles Storytime for 3-year-olds, Thursdays, 9:45-10:15 a.m. at Community Library, 44 Burrer Drive — A storytime that emphasizes early-learning concepts such as colors, numbers, letters, and shapes. Creativity and participation are encouraged through songs, games, and crafts. For more information, visit community.lib.oh.us.
• Laugh and Learn Storytime for 4-6 year-olds, Thursdays, 10:30-11 a.m. at Community Library, 44 Burrer Drive — A storytime that emphasizes concepts such as early phonics, math, science, and critical thinking skills. Creativity and participation are encouraged through songs, games, and crafts. For more information, visit community.lib.oh.us.
• Time for Twos, Tuesdays, 9:45 a.m., Sunbury Community Library, 44 Burrer Drive. — Two year olds and their parents/caregivers are invited to join the fun at our Time for Twos storytime! There are stories, songs, fingerplays, and movement activities, all with a focus on pre-literacy skills. Siblings welcome. For more information, visit community.lib.oh.us.
• Baby Time, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m., Sunbury Community Library, 44 Burrer Drive - Storytime for infants and toddlers, with an accompanying adult. Participants will enjoy songs, rhymes, and early experiences with books. Siblings welcome. For more information, visit community.lib.oh.us.
Learn About MyCareOhio Forum, Wed., Aug. 20, 1:30-3:30 p.m., at the library at the Council for Older Adults, 800 Cheshire Rd. — The Center for Disability Empowerment invites seniors who have dual eligibility for Medicare and Medicaid to attend a presentation on MyCareOhio, the new program that coordinates services and care for dual-eligibility individuals. Learn about options and added benefits; participate in Q&A to learn about the plan choices available to you; hear an overview of MyCareOhio program by John Arnold, OCVIC Project Coordinator, UHCAN Ohio ; and visit with representatives from Aetna and Molina Healthcare of Ohio to discuss their respective plans. For more information, visit growingolder.org or call 740-363-6677.
• Tuesday Night Footprints Group, Tuesdays at 7 p.m., Sunbury Church of the Nazarene, 830 N. Ohio 61 — AA meeting information at aacentralohio.org or 800-870-3795.
• Addiction, chemical dependency and substance abuse group, Mondays at 7:30 p.m. at the Vineyard Church of Delaware County – for more information, contact facilitator Brian Davis at email@example.com.
• Support group for current and former victims of domestic violence, 7 p.m., Call Turning Point, 1-800-232-6505, for location
LITERATURE, ARTS and CRAFTS
• Tuesday Knitters, 6:30 p.m., Sunbury Community Library, 44 Burrer Drive, Sunbury.
• Sunbury Village Council meetings, Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014 - 7:30 pm at the third floor of the Town Hall on the Town Square. — Meetings are held the first and third Wednesdays of the month. For more informaiton, visit sunburyvillage.com or call 740-965-2684 to confirm a scheduled meeting as the day approaches.
• Delaware Toastmasters Meeting, Tuesday, Aug. 19, 7-8:30 p.m. at Columbus State Community College - Delaware Campus, Moeller Hall 112, 5100 Cornerstone Dr. — Delaware Toastmasters offers a proven and enjoyable way for improving your communication and leadership skills while gaining more self-confidence. Our supportive and positive environment provides a safe audience for you to develop your skills in making both prepared speeches and impromptu speeches. You will also develop your leadership skills. Meetings are held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 7 p.m. For more information, visit delaware.toastmastersclubs.org.
• Clothing Give Away, Saturday, Aug. 9, 9 a.m.-3p.m. at the Sunbury United Methodist Church, 100 West Cherry Street at the S.R. 36/37 and S.R. 3 in the church lower level multipurpose room — Gently-used adult and children’s will be given to Big Walnut area residents in need. Clean, gently used items can still be donated through tonight at SUMC. For more information call SUMC at 740-965-3813, Nancy Singer at 740-965-6374 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Food pantry, 10 a.m.-noon, Delaware City Vineyard, 425 S. Sandusky St., Suite 3 — Walk-ins welcome. For more information, call 740-362-6383 or visit www.delawarecityvineyard.org.
• The Big Walnut Friends Who Share Store, Tuesday, Aug. 12, from 6:30-8p.m. and Wednesday, Aug. 13 from 9-11:30 a.m. at 216 High Street — Big Walnut area families in need can get food assistance, clothing, furniture, kitchen appliances - anything needed in a household. The store is open from 9 until 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday mornings, and from 6:30 until 8 p.m. during the evening on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month. For more information, call 740-965-9596. Visit Big Walnut Friends Who Share online at www.bigwalnutfriendswhoshare.org.
• The Big Walnut Friends Who Share Store - Seniors, Saturday, Aug. 9, from 9-11:30 a.m. at 216 High Street — Big Walnut area seniors in need can get food assistance, clothing, furniture, kitchen appliances - anything needed in a household. The store is open from 9 until 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday mornings, and from 6:30 until 8 p.m. during the evening on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month. For more information, call 740-965-9596. Visit Big Walnut Friends Who Share online at www.bigwalnutfriendswhoshare.org.
• Big Walnut Friends Who Share — Eastern Delaware County’s all-volunteer grass-roots social service agency serving Big Walnut area families throughout the year with food assistance, clothing, furniture, kitchen appliances - anything needed in a household. Volunteers help out at the center from 9 a.m. until 11:30 every Monday morning. To volunteer, to donate needed items, or to make a financial contribution to Friends Who Share projects, call 740-965-9596. Visit Big Walnut Friends Who Share online at www.bigwalnutfriendswhoshare.org.
• 4th Annual Dog Days of Summer Dog Bath and 4-H Fun Agility Show, Saturday, Aug. 16, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Champion Feed & Pet Supply, 2524 S.R. 37 E., Delaware — A Humane Society of Delaware County fundraiser including activities for dogs, dog grooming, food and a dog show. Proceeds from the community dog wash will directly benefit the pets at the Humane Society of Delaware County. For more information, call Champion Feed & Pet Supply at 740-369-3020 or HSDC at 740-369-7387. Information can also be found at www.hsdcohio.org.
• Humane Society of Delaware County Wellness & Vaccine Clinic, 8:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m., HSDC, 4920 Ohio 37E — No appointments required. For more information, contact 740-369-7387 or visit hsdcohio.org. 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. No appointment needed.
ADD YOUR EVENT — Email email@example.com or SUNnews@civitasmedia.com. All event notices must be received by noon Tuesday for the next issue.